Tuesday, October 9, 2007

That Was Incredible...

As many of you know, I'm a die-hard Dallas Cowboys fan. I've been one all of my life and have stuck with them through good times and bad. This year has been good times thus far. Last night, however, was possibly the most unbelievable Cowboys game I've ever watched. I'm sure hardly anyone stayed up until the very end to see what transpired. Thanks to the plethora of drugs I had in my system (thanks to an ear infection that had me down all weekend), I had trouble sleeping and was awake to see the improbable ending.

For those that couldn't stay awake, here's a synopsis. Dallas did everything they possibly could to give the game away to Buffalo (a team with one win this year and so many injuries that they had a wide receiver starting on defense). Tony Romo, Superman up until now, threw a team record FIVE interceptions and also fumbled once for a total of SIX turnovers. On top of having two of those interceptions returned for touchdowns, Dallas also gave up a 103 yard kickoff return for a TD. Amazingly infuriating.

So...we get to about 6 minutes left in the game with Dallas down 8 points. Buffalo is driving for the game icing TD when they finally make a mistake and throw an interception. Dallas returns it all the way to the Buffalo 20 yard line and looks like they're going to score to pull to within 2 points. What happens next? Romo throws an interception of course. Game over. Not so fast. The Dallas defense stiffens, Bills punt, and with 20 seconds left in the game, the Cowboys score to pull it to 24-22. A 2 point conversion and this game is going to Overtime. Not to be. Dallas' superstar, Terrell Owens, drops the game tying conversion.

So...with 20 seconds left, we need an onside kick to try and get the ball back. These things never work. WAIT. This one worked - even after the referees reviewed the tape to make sure it was a fair play. So...Dallas ball on the 50 yard line with 20 seconds (and no timeouts left). After a couple more crazy occurances (like a pass to Owens being caught and then ruled not a catch and the clock having to be reset), Dallas sends their ROOKIE kicker out to try his career long field goal for the win. He MAKES IT! Wait. Buffalo apparently called a timeout right before the snap so the kick doesn't count. So...ROOKIE kicker has to try a 2nd 53 yard, game winning field goal with 1 second left. He lines up...it's GOOD! Game over, Cowboys win.

Un-freakin'-believable. The last time I was this excited about a win was in college watching a Braves playoff game and I jumped off my couch and hit my head on the ceiling. I guess it was a more subdued celebration due to the ear infection - but satisfying nonetheless!!

No comments: