Friday, November 9, 2007

Article Recommendation: Two Athletes, Two Soldiers

I subscribe to Sports Illustrated magazine. I have for quite a while. I used to read it cover to cover but as I've gotten older and the demands on my time have increased, I find less and less time for magazines. Many of the ones that I subscribe to and still enjoy often go unread or just flipped through before they get tossed out.

Recently I happened to grab the October 22 edition and stuff it in my bag to read on the bus on my way to work. In it there is an article by Jack McCallum, a Senior Writer at Sports Illustrated, called "Two Athletes, Two Soldiers". It tells the story of Jack, his best friend Bobby, and a small town hero from New York named Mike. Bobby died in Vietnam nearly 40 years ago. Mike died in Iraq in 2005. Jack never went to Vietnam, never got to say goodbye to Bobby, and never knew Mike. Take a couple of minutes and read it. It is sad and moving, heartfelt and sincere.

Two Athletes, Two Soldiers

No comments: