Monday, November 26, 2007

Baylor Football - A Sad State of Affairs

Most of you know that I'm from a family full of Baylor Bears - my mom & dad, my wife, my sister, my brother, one of my aunts, and one of my uncles all went to Baylor (as did Willie Nelson incidentally). You may also know that Baylor is terrible at football. That wasn't always the case. Believe it or not, I was in attendance when Baylor pummelled Clemson in the 1979 Peach Bowl and was also at the 1981 Cotton Bowl when Baylor got smacked 30-2 by Alabama (but hey - there were in the Cotton Bowl!). After another losing year, they fired their coach recently and were, by most accounts, ready to bring back Mike Singletary, one of their all-time greats, to serve as the new head coach. Strangely, however, he recently removed his name from consideration. Rumor has it, however, that Baylor AD Ian McCaw might've removed Singletary because he wasn't willing to just be a yes-man and fund raiser. That's pretty pathetic. If the guy in the video below isn't the right guy for a school like Baylor, I'm not sure there's much hope for a return to glory on the gridiron.

No comments: