Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Imitation - The Sincerest Form of Flattery?

I was riding to work the other day and a billboard caught my eye (yes, I ride the bus). It was advertising the 2007-2008 Charlotte Bobcats - trying to drum up interest in single game tickets. Those of you familiar with Charlotte know that this was, once, big basketball country. When the old Hornets entered the league in 1988, they led the league in attendance. Tickets were the hottest thing in town! The Bobcats - not so much. I follow them because I'm a big sports fan but there's very little interest in town. Maybe it's because they're bad, maybe it's because they have really ugly bright orange uniforms, maybe it's because the name stinks (Bobcats - named after owner Bob Johnson - I'm glad his name isn't Steve or Gary or something).

Anyway - they have a new logo on the billboard and I can't help but think that it's stolen directly from another team in the NBA. It's an improvement over last year's logo (redesigning logos in the team's 4th year?!) - but still a blatant rip off.

This new logo is a really lame rip-off if you ask me. You be the judge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, definitely a rip-off.

P.S. What's wrong with ugly bright-orange uniforms??

Go Vols. (2007 SEC Champs?)

Scott said...

Yeah...that sucks. I haven't followed the NBA that closely since we were in school, but I'm trying to get into the Hawks this year. Seems they might finally be somewhat better than totally crappy this year.