Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Don't Pay Full Price for Magazines

I don't think I've ever paid full retail price for a magazine subscription in my life. Most of my subscriptions have been gifts and if I choose to renew them, I usually wait for the "please don't let your subscription lapse" letter which always comes and then renew. You can find good prices on magazine subscriptions pretty easily by doing a little digging on Google or some of the deal sites. The offer I saw yesterday, however, is better than a good deal - it's a FANTASTIC deal.

Fandango.com, a movie ticket site, looks to be running a special for their customers where you can get a year's worth of top name magazines for $2.00. The great thing about it is that you don't have to do anything with Fandango to get the deal. Simply go HERE and you can sign up for up to 4 magazines. We're talking about expensive magazines like Sports Illustrated (usually $90 per year), Time, Entertainment Weekly, Fortune, etc. $2.00 for a year of any of those magazines would definitely be worth it. That's lower than the cover price of one issue!

My understanding is that in one year's time, they'll send you a notification that your subscription is being auto-renewed and your credit card will be billed if you don't cancel. I, being the 'cheapskate' that I am, did not want to mess around with having to cancel (though I'm sure that'd be pretty easy), so I used a virtual credit card to pay for the subscriptions. What, you ask, is a virtual credit card? It's a one-time use Visa code that some credit card companies offer to their customers for online transactions. When these magazines try to renew next year, they'll get a denied message because my virtual card has already been used once! Check with your bank to see if it's a service they offer. I know that PayPal, Citi, and Bank of America all have the service.

No comments: