Wednesday, March 5, 2008

FNL - This is What Ticks Me Off

I bet you're probably tired of my incessant ranting and raving about Friday Night Lights. Well - until the shows gets renewed (or cancelled), I'm going to keep on ranting because I simply can't understand what NBC is thinking?!

Yesterday, Optimedia, a communications planning/buying agency, published a first of it's kind study called the 2007 Content Power Ratings. The study attempts to provide a ranking of a program's true commercial value based on buzz, web presence/streaming, audience size, and audience appeal. Basically the gist is that traditional rankings are based solely on Nielsen ratings but today, with multiple channels for shows, blogs spreading buzz about shows, etc., there are more factors to consider.

So - taking all of these new variables into consideration, how did FNL do? It came in 17th! It finished ahead of supposed powerhouse shows like 24, NCIS, Two and a Half Men, My Name is Earl, Without a Trace, ER, Cold Case, the list goes on and on. It's absolutely ridiculous to me that we're even having to sweat it out. The show clearly has a dedicated following and wide spread appeal - what in the heck is the issue here?!

What else can we do now that SaveFridayNightLights has finished their mini-football campaign (at least for the time being after sending nearly 20,000 footballs to NBC!)? There's still a few things to do. First - head over to TVGuide and vote in their poll about what "bubble show" deserves another season. The poll is on the lower right side of the page. Second, head to NBC.com and use their contact form to send the powers that be an email on your desire to see the show continue.

I'm going to keep talking about it and trying until we get a definitive 'yes' or 'no'. I hope you'll hang in there with me!!

1 comment:

Zack R said...

"I bet you're probably tired of my incessant ranting and raving about Friday Night Lights."

Yes. Yes we are.