Friday, March 7, 2008

Website Recommendation: UShip.com

My friend Matt introduced me to a new website this morning that I think people will find really useful. UShip.com is a startup company that aims to connect people that need to ship goods (whether that be boxes/packages across the country or household moves across town) with reliable moving companies. The great thing is that it's an auction style site. You list the particulars of your move and literally thousands of companies bid on the job. You can choose the shipper of your choice based on recommendations, price, feedback from other users, etc.! Even better - there's no cost to use the service!!

Here's just a quick example of how this might be a good site to bookmark for future reference. When I moved to Charlotte from Memphis almost four years ago, I was moving a 2 bedroom apartment (far less stuff than I have today). That move cost me over $4,000. I put in the particulars of that move on UShip (using their estimator tool) and it came back with a price in the $900 - $1200 range. Now - I'm sure that probably didn't include some of the extras that I purchased like packing and insurance - but it definitely looks like this is a place that you could go to save yourself some big time money.

A final note - my friend Matt knows one of the guys running the company and he says it's growing like crazy. I say that to let you know that this isn't some fly by night scam type website - we have actual human contact and have heard some of the 'back story' on the company. Give it a shot if you've got a move coming up, need to ship something you sell on Ebay, etc.

No comments: