Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Best Job I've Ever Had


Most of you probably know that I spent one year teaching high school about 6 years ago. I graduated from business school, took a high powered job in consulting, and watched it all disappear when the dot com bust happened. I ended up taking a job as a computer programming teacher and ended up absolutely loving it. If I could've made any money doing it, I'd be there today.

One of the other things I really loved was the fact that I also got to coach basketball. It was a weird "right place, right time" type of thing - but I was there the year that the school had our best team ever. We finished in the final 8 in the state in the largest classification for public high schools. We had a team of dedicated guys that knew our system (the Princeton offense) and we beat a lot of teams with better athletes. We had one player that went to a low Division 1 school (Campbell University). The picture includes all the guys that I coached against that year that ended up playing in Division 1 basketball and/or the NBA. What a collection of talent!! They are (starting in the center and then at top left going clockwise):

Chris Paul - New Orleans Hornets/Wake Forest - NBA Rookie of the Year
Thomas Wilkins - UNC Chapel Hill
Eric Williams - Wake Forest
Todd Hendley - UNC Wilmington/Wake Forest
Shavlik Randolph - Philadelphia 76ers / Duke
DeEarnest McLemore - Wagner
Shawan Robinson - Clemson
James Mays - Clemson
Mack Montgomery - Columbia
Cameron Stanley - Wake Forest
Bryan Nieman - NC State

I'm proud to say that the only two guys in this picture that we lost to were Chris Paul and Shavlik Randolph. Definitely a year I'll always remember!!

No comments: