Monday, February 18, 2008

Get Paid For Your Old Electronics

If you're like me, you probably have a decent collection of old cell phones, video game systems, MP3 players, etc. Every year or two I seem to upgrade my gadgets and am left wondering what to do with the old ones. In the past, I've simply given them to Goodwill (which is still a decent way to get rid of things). However, with the IRS cracking down on charity donations and the issues around disposal of electronics (putting them in landfills is not good for the environment), I started wondering if there were better ways to get rid of this stuff. Turns out there are ways that I can both help the environment and make some money!

Second Rotation is a site that buys back all kinds of electronics - cell phones, digital cameras, video game consoles, MP3 players, etc. - and extends their life by selling them in markets where the technology is still viable or in demand. You enter your device, give the details about it (what condition it's in, etc.), mail it to them, and get paid. If your device can't be resold, they'll recycle it in an environmentally friendly way.

TechForward works a little differently - but the concept is the same. This site allows you to lock in a future trade value for your unwanted devices. I have an 80GB IPod that I know I may not want in a year. I can go to the site, tell them that I will send the IPod in one year from now, and lock in a trade value for the IPod. Once I'm locked in, I am guaranteed to get the amount that they promise - AND if I decide I don't want to send it in a year from now, I'm free to walk away! Just like Second Rotation, these items are sold in other markets and, if they're unsellable, are recycled in environmentally friendly ways.

There are a number of sites popping up around the net that offer this type of service. So - next time you're thinking of getting rid of a piece of electronics, think again. You may be able to pocket some cash in the process!

No comments: