Friday, February 15, 2008

I Just Made $100 in 5 Minutes

Here's a great way for you to put $100 (or more) in your pocket and it only takes about 5 minutes. Have you been getting the ads in your mail for all the cable/internet/phone packages on the market? I get at least one a week from both Time Warner and Windstream. Any time I see that kind of aggressive marketing, a bell goes off in my head. These two companies are in a war for customers and this is an opportunity for me to reap some benefit as a result.

What did I do to get the money? I called my current cable/internet provider, Time Warner, and asked for their cancellations department. When the cancellation department came online, I simply told them that I'm interested in cancelling my service with them because I got a better deal at Windstream. Immediately Time Warner offered me a deal that keeps my service exactly as it currently is but will cost more than $100 less over the next 6 months. If they had not offered a better price, I could have either gone through with the cancellation (which would have been a pain), told them that I needed to double check with my wife before placing the final order (which would have gotten me off the phone and I wouldn't have lost anything), or told them I had a bad connection and called back in hopes that I got a different person who may be willing to negotiate.

You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain when dealing with these companies. Cable/Internet/Phone service is rapidly becoming a commodity and these companies are facing shrinking margins. At this point, they are in the volume business and that means they need to keep customers at almost any cost (since keeping current customers is cheaper than acquiring new ones). Give it a try - it worked for me!

Oh yeah - don't think I won't be calling back in 6 months when my bill goes back up. This could be a $200 deal before it's all said and done!

No comments: