Thursday, January 17, 2008

Dang There's a Lot of Them!?

I'm sure by now we're all familiar with the fact that Mitt Romney, one of the Republican Presidential candidates, is Mormon. I suppose that's a big deal since he's probably the first major Mormon candidate for President (yes there have been others but none that were thought to really be potential nominees).

I started thinking the other day about other famous Mormons. I think we all know that the Osmonds are Mormon. I've known for a long time that former Atlanta Brave Dale Murphy is one. Merlin Olsen is one. But I was wondering whether there are any mainstream, currently popular people that are. It turns out that there are a TON of them:

Amy Adams - actress (Enchanted, Charlie Wilson's War, etc.)
Eliza Dushku - actress (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Aaron Eckhart - actor (Thank You for Smoking, The Black Dahlia)
Ryan Gosling - actor (The Notebook, Half-Nelson)
Jon Heder - actor (Napoleon Dynamite)
Katherine Heigl - actress (Grey's Anatomy, Knocked Up)
Matthew Modine - actor (Vision Quest, Pacific Heights, Full Metal Jacket)
Kelly Packard - actress (Baywatch, California Dreams)
Aaron Ruell - actor (Kip from Napoleon Dynamite)
Paul Walker - actor (The Fast and the Furious, Eight Below)

Diamond Rio - country band
The Jets - 80s pop band
The Killers - modern rock band
Gladys Knight - R&B legend
SHeDAISY - country band

Bobby Crosby - Oakland A's - 2004 American League Rookie of the Year
Kyle Farnsworth - New York Yankees
Roy Halladay - Toronto Blue Jays, 2003 American League Cy Young Winner
Jeff Kent - LA Dodgers, 5 time All Star, 2000 NL MVP
Harmon Killebrew - baseball Hall of Fame

Andy Reid - Philadelphia Eagles head coach
Sean Salisbury - ESPN commentator, former NFL QB
Danny White - former Dallas Cowboys QB
Steve Young - NFL Hall of Fame QB

I seriously could go on and on. If you're interested in finding out who else is on the list, check out FamousMormons.net. Now - why do I bring this up? I guess it's just out of curiousity. I have my own personal opinions about Mormonism but I'll save those for another day. I'm just frankly surprised that there are so many well-known Mormons. I guess I just figured they'd primarily be athletes from the colleges in Utah and a few random celebrities here and there. Guess I was wrong?!

No comments: