Thursday, January 3, 2008

Website Recommendation: Cool Site for Football Junkies

As I've said here in the past, I'm a bit of a sports nut. If I were still single, I'd probably watch a lot more sports than I do (I try not to force my wife to watch them when I know she couldn't care less). But, even as a married man, I still watch a lot of sports. I especially like NFL football. It is by far my favorite sport to watch and, to me, has just the right number of games (16) so that I don't get bored with the season and I can actually follow along and pay close attention throughout the year.

My interest in NFL football started at a young age. I can remember being 5 or 6 and studying the cards in my football card collection. There was a time (probably 1977 or 1978) that I could tell you the 3 QBs on every NFL team. Pretty impressive for a 4 or 5 year old I think.

Anyway - if you like football as much as I do, you should definitely check out Pro-Football-Reference.com. This site is a virtual database of statistics, standings, individual player stats, you name it. You can waste a LOT of time on this site. I always enjoy browsing it and seeing some name that I hadn't thought of in years. Usually I can picture the guy's football card in my head when that happens!

Here are a couple of interesting tidbits that I picked up at Pro-Football-Reference.com:
  • No college has put more players into the NFL than Notre Dame - 485 players!
  • 465 players have played in the NFL without attending ANY college (second only to Notre Dame's 485!)
  • Miami and Florida State have the most active players in the league - 33 each (strange that the pundits still say that the ACC has weak football?!)
  • There are 162 colleges that have put just 1 player into the NFL - including one Division 1 school (Florida Atlantic - granted they've only been in D1 for 7 years)
  • Morgan State, a Division II historically black college, has 4 players in the NFL Hall of Fame - more than Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska, Tennessee, Florida, or Florida State.
  • There has never been an NFL player with a last name that starts with 'X'
I could go on and on. If you're a football fan, check it out and prepare to waste a good chunk of time. Also - the same guy that runs this site has sister sites for BASEBALL and BASKETBALL!

Enjoy!

No comments: